Re: [leafnode-list] Moderated groups problem

David Aldred <nr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Following up on Robert's post, I had noticed that moderated articles weren't
> getting through to a moderated group.  Checking as he has, I've found that I
> too have lost most of the moderated flags.
>
> (I also found that I had two versions of leafnode installed simultaneuously,
> got myself in a mess sorting it out, so now have a clean Leafnode install -
> but those moderated flags are still missing.  It may be that the particular
> group I need to be right - uk.religion.christian - is set incorrectly on the
> upstream sever).

It's OK on my leafnode installation, with upstreams
news.hrz.uni-dortmund.de (non-public), news.individual.de (public, 10
€/year), news.online.de (ISP).

> So I've tried setting the flag in groupinfo myself, but this doesn't seem to
> work either.  (The idea was to create a workaround for bad flags from th
> upstream server, with a script which would check the moderation flag status
> and if necessary change it after any fetchnews).

In how far does this not work? The change would have to happen with no
texpire/fetchnews process running however.

> I've set the moderation address for the newsgroup I want to be my won email
> address for the moment, to avoid annoyance when it does start working.    I
> post stuff, and nothing turns up in my mailbox.
>
> So why isn't it working as I expect?  I must have something wrong...
>
> Some possbly useful stuff:
>
> # grep uk.religion.christian /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo
> uk.religion.christian   m       469     2       1126344546      -x-

Looks fine.

> # grep uk.religion.christian /etc/leafnode/moderators
> uk.religion.christian:nr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This shouldn't be necessary, unless the upstream has a borked moderators
table.

> One glitch: in my xinetd.conf file, if I copy over the nntp server setup for
> Leafnode 2.x, it doesn't work (can't telnet in).  With the setup for the
> previous leafnode version, it does.  There is no /usr/sbin/tcpd on my system
> (Mandrake), nor any other file called tcpd.  Would this be affecting things?

No, this is unrelated. If there are difficulties, please open a new
thread with the xinetd setup question.