Re: [leafnode-list] groupinfo has lost some moderated flags

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Robert Marshall <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> [leafnode version 2.0.0.alpha20050810a]
>>
>> I recently did a fetchnews -f in order to solve a problem and I've just
>> noticed that various moderated groups are now not moderated according to
>> the groupinfo file (I've no evidence that it was the -f that did it but
>> I'm pretty sure it was ok until very recently)
>
> I wonder - do all your upstream servers (if more than one) agree on the
> "moderated" flag? For if they disagree, that might explain the problem
> and we might need to add code to check these flags.

Yes I wondered about that, which is why - in the initial email - I checked
that both were consistent  on the group I tried za.net.maps (on Saturday
all the servers that had this group thought that it was Moderated).

But today:

telnet news.ntlworld.com 119
Trying 80.5.182.99...
Connected to news.ntlworld.com (80.5.182.99).
Escape character is '^]'.
200 ntl Cablemodem News Server (Tornado v1.0.6)
list active za.net.maps
215 NewsGroups Follow
za.net.maps 0000001004 0000001002 y
.
quit

So it looks if is the problem is (as ever!) news.ntlworld.com,

just checked a couple of other groups

200 ntl Cablemodem News Server (Tornado v1.0.6)
list active uk.religion.christian
215 NewsGroups Follow
uk.religion.christian 0000215700 0000158147 y
list active comp.lang.python.announce
215 NewsGroups Follow
comp.lang.python.announce 0000006332 0000003989 y

both of which are moderated according to news.individual.net.

So it looks as if news.ntlworld.net sometimes has the moderation status
correct and then something happens and they're all unmoderated!

Maybe I should just change to order of the servers in /etc/leafnode/config
so that news.ntlworld.net comes first. Though the real solution is to get
the ntlworld admins to wake up to the problem (as my solution isn't going
to help folk like David)

Robert
--
Robert Marshall