Re: [leafnode-list] groupinfo has lost some moderated flags

David Aldred <nr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Maybe I should just change to order of the servers in /etc/leafnode/config
>> so that news.ntlworld.net comes first. Though the real solution is to get
>> the ntlworld admins to wake up to the problem (as my solution isn't going
>> to help folk like David)
>
> No - but if I can get my overall problems sorted out (the issue here
> seems to be Postfix rather than leafnode,

Ah heck. You need to set debugmode to contain NNTP protocol trace
(debugmode should contain the bit values 8 and 1) to obtain logging from
fetchnews. Find attached a patch against the recent leafnode-2 release
to correct logging (successful logging will use INFO priority, error
logging will use ERROR priorit). Note that on some systems you may need
to edit /etc/syslog.conf to capture news.info logging - some systems
don't store news related logging at all. For details, see README.html,
it's section #2 step #8.

> and I'm frakkly thinking of leaving everything on the 'unsolved' pile
> until Mandriva 2006 id out, clean-installing that and hoping!), then
> I'm planning on creating a script to run after fetchnews and check
> that the moderation flag remains correct on sepcified groups, changing
> it if not.

I think the administrators of the server should be hit with a
cluestick. It can't be that hard for NTL to keep their group flags in
synch. Perhaps they aren't even aware of the problem because no-one is
watching...

> (In that respect, does Fetchnews set any particular exit code if it's
>updated the groupinfo file, or would I just have to go on the file
>date?)

It doesn't, it will usually touch the file each and every time when it's
completing.