[leafnode-list] Re: "last seen ... server now has ..." is the server's fault, right?

Adam Funk <adam00f@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> X-DCL-garcia R default
>
> When I get a syslog message like this (it usually recurs for a few hours
> then stops):
>
> Nov  1 22:31:26 garcia fetchnews[12579]: alt.religion.kibology: last seen
> article was 61692, server now has 61415-61690
>
> I assume it indicates an error on the server from which I'm downloading --
> is that correct?

Whether it's a "fault" or an annoyance is moot - such behavior can
happen when:

1. some idiot spams the group
2. fetchnews fetches
3. someone or a bot clears the group with foreign cancel messages
4. the server from which you are downloading loses all messages "from
the end" of the list through the cancel

Chances are the upstream server bumps the "high" article number down
after cancel, which it should not do. Leafnode tries hard to never set
the "high" article number to a lower number.

Your upstream server is supposed to do the same in order not to confuse
the clients. Ask politely the operator what's going on if the problem persists.