[leafnode-list] Re: Cannot update timestamp on /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/...: Operation not permitted

David Aldred <nr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Just noticed this message repeatedly being thrown up by Leafnode:
>
> Nov 17 23:22:41 main leafnode[25280]: Cannot update timestamp
> on /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/alt.os.linux.mandrake: Operation not
> permitted
>
> (various groups are affected)
>
> Looks like a permisions problem - but all files
> under /var/spool/news/interesting.groups (and the directory itself) have
> owner 'root', group 'news', and permissions 775.
>
> The user news is a member of group news, so I thought it could access those
> directories and files.
>
> What have I got wrong?

What operating system and version are you using?

What type of file system is used for the /var partition?  The /etc/fstab
or /etc/vfstab file may tell.  If /var is not on a separate partition,
check your root partition.

Has someone or something accidentally set "immutable" flags on the file
(chattr on Linux, chflags on BSD) or tampered with ACLs (access control
lists)?

Ultimately, is your file system corrupt? Use fsck to check.  (you may
shut your system down to single-user mode and unmount /var or downgrade
it to read-only mode to be able to check it).