[leafnode-list] Re: Configuring posting and fetching differently from various servers.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 07:21:45PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Adam Funk <adam00f@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I'm using two incoming news servers: my ISP's server, which carries
> > some local groups not available on the wider usenet, and
> > news.individual.net.
> >
> > Can I configure leafnode to send all outgoing posts through
> > news.individual.net except for the local groups, which have to go to
> > the ISP's server, but *without* restricting the incoming feeds?
>
> Well, leafnode (or fetchnews) for that matter will check if a group is
> available on the server before posting articles for it, so it should
> automatically figure things out; this assumes however that your server
> forwards posts for all non-local groups into the Usenet.
>
> Routing subsets of newsgroups to particular servers is not implemented yet.

Well, this brings an idea to my mind, but I'm not sure whether I'm
right:

/etc/leafnode/config:
|server = news.individual.net
|... the lines concerning this server ...
|server = your.isp's.server
|... the lines concerning your isp's server ...

So leafnode knows about all your servers. Articles come and go to all of
them. *But*: Articles should be sent to news.individual.net first, then
to your isp's server. Thinking about today's speed of news, there's a
chance that your isp will reject your article as "already known".