[leafnode-list] Re: (OT) recommendations for news service?

Adam Funk <adam00f@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This isn't a technical question about leafnode, but a request for
> recommendations from other leafnode users.  I apologize if that
> bothers anyone.
>
> I really like the combination of slrn and leafnode, but I'm having a
> terrible time getting a good feed assembled from news.individual.net
> (which is supposed to be good, or at least good value for money) and
> my ISP's server, text.news.blueyonder.co.uk.  I'm trying to download
> about 40 text groups (no binaries at all) and some of the groups I've
> recently subscribed to have no traffic at all on my leafnode machine
> although I can tell (from Google groups) that they are active.
>
> grep news /var/log/syslog shows groups of entries like this:
>
> Jan 30 11:08:01 garcia /USR/SBIN/CRON[22833]: (news) CMD (if [ -x /etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news ]; then /etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news; fi)
> Jan 30 11:08:01 garcia fetchnews[22835]: leafnode 1.11.4: verbosity level is 0, debugmode is 0
> Jan 30 11:10:31 garcia fetchnews[22835]: < (ERROR: timeout - no response in 60 s)
> Jan 30 11:10:31 garcia fetchnews[22835]: Server disconnection or timeout before article could be retrieved #2
> Jan 30 11:10:31 garcia fetchnews[22835]: Warning: aborting fetch from news.individual.net due to previous condition.
> Jan 30 11:11:12 garcia fetchnews[22835]: < (ERROR: timeout - no response in 60 s)
> Jan 30 11:11:12 garcia fetchnews[22835]: Server disconnection or timeout before article could be retrieved #1
> Jan 30 11:11:12 garcia fetchnews[22835]: Warning: aborting fetch from text.news.blueyonder.co.uk due to previous condition.
>
> I've tried running it with debugging on, and various other things, and
> I think leafnode is working fine but the servers just time out.  I've
> increased the cron job frequency to 4 per hour and I'm still not
> getting a good newsfeed.

I am using news.individual.net and have a quite fast connection (this is
with the Deutsche Telekom backbone and a United Internet co.).

Does raising the timeout to 300 s help?

Can you show a snippet of leafnode's debug logs that show the timeouts?

What is your local network configuration, do you have routers or
firewalls on your computer? If so, what kind of firewall and what
operating system and version (including kernel version) are you using?