[leafnode-list] Moving Leafnode News Directory

I want to move my leafnode news directory from /var/spool/news to a
different mount point on a new disk.  I planned on doing a cp first to
be sure it worked then rm the existing directory and finally create a
soft link to the new mount point.

I've created the new mount point but run into trouble when I try and cp
over the existing news directory.  The size of the new directory becomes
huge and I have to stop the cp.  I have no idea why this happens.  I was
using cp -a to do the copy.

What is the correct way to do this?