[leafnode-list] Re: I broke slrn

Hello again,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 06:48:27PM +0100, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

> I'm unconvinced that it's slrn, here's why.  Slrn used to work.  Then
> I configured leafnode.  Now, slrn won't connect with *any* news
> server.  Ergo, leafnode did something.  Faulty logic?

To be honest: I wonder why slrn did connect to any newsserver before.

> Kinda, Martin.  I'd like to get slrn to connect to leafnode.  Pan does
> so fine, but I'm not a fan.  Alternately, totally off topic, I'd like
> to get slrn to connect to my ISP's news server, just to establish for
> myself that slrn works.

slrn wants to know about your wishes. :-)

> thufir@localhost ~ $ slrn -h shawnews.vc.shawcable.net
> slrn 0.9.8.1 [2004-10-07]
> slrn fatal error:
> Unable to find a valid hostname for constructing your e-mail address.
> You will have to specify a hostname in your .slrnrc file.
>
> thufir@localhost ~ $ cat -n /home/thufir/.slrnc

Just because I'm curious: What happens, if you rename that file to
".slrnrc"? (Mind the second 'r') Before doing a "mv" DOUBLE CHECK, that
this file IS NOT THERE ALREADY!

>      1  set username "hawat.thufir"
>      2  set hostname "gmail.com"
>      3  set posting_host "shawnews.vc.shawcable.net"

|    4 %% Tell slrn which .newsrc to use
|    5 server "shawnews.vc.shawcable.net" ".slrn-newsrc-shawnews-rc"

> thufir@localhost ~ $ slrn -h localhost

|    6 server "localhost" ".slrn-newsrc-localhost-rc"

Maybe you already have some .newsrc. Then just put the (correct!) names
behind the servernames.

The newsrc tell leafnode which article numbers you have already seen.
Since article numbers differ from server to server, you have to use one
newsrc per server. Additional lines do no harm at all.

But: Using leafnode there should be no need to connect to any other
server than localhost. ;-)

Have a nice day

Martin