[leafnode-list] Re: WANTED: leafnode-1 filter examples from real-life

On Thursday 23 March 2006 1:34 am, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@xxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Thu, Mar 23 2006, Matthias Andree wrote:
> >> "Michael R. McCarrey" <wa7qzr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> I don't use leafnode-1 patterns in production, and thus am asking for
> >> people to show their working patterns that we can then include in
> >> filters.example.
> >
> > Wouldn't it make sense to have the same example in leafnode1 and
> > leafnode2 if possible?  (I didn't use leafnode1 the last years, so I
> > don't recall possible limitations.)
>
> It would indeed be sensible, but that's a matter of the leafnode-2
> documentation to show the user how to convert leafnode-1 filters.
>
> I will not support leafnode-2 -> leafnode-1 downgrades except on special
> contract basis.
>
> > You can achieve the same with "action = score" rules (leafnode2).
>
> The leafnode 2 filter syntax may change any day.
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

Hello Matthias,

I wanted to drop you a note to thank you for your quick response to my
questions concerning leafnode-1 filters. It was very helpful. I've managed to
craft a couple dozen filter statements together which, if my eyes are not
deceiving me and the syslog is telling me the truth, are working.

Today I installed leafnode-1.11.5.rc3. I'll let it run for a few days and see
how it works, after including the PCRE_CASELESS option to some select
filters.

As I said above, I've now about a dozen working filters. They are heavily
commented; nearly every keystroke is explained (which, I hope, said
explanation is correct) before the rule is encountered. Perhaps someone else
might find them useful. If you'd like, I'll post them here or email you
directly with them, (your preference), after they have run a few more days
against the rc3 version.

Earlier, you asked about the program "regexcoach". I'm not too sure what all
it understands (a lot of these regular expressions, especially the PERL
extensions, read like Greek did to me, before I learned Greek, but that's
another story), but, all the filter examples I managed to hack together pass
through it okay. It has a "step" feature, where each part of the expression
is tested, in a visual manner, against the string being checked. For those
who are interested, regexcoach is available here:

http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/

The documentation on the website looks fairly comprehensive, but remember I
don't know what I'm looking at; it could be bull for all I know :-)

Best Regards to you & yours,

Mike
--
Mike McCarrey, Amateur Radio: WA7QZR