[leafnode-list] Re: I broke slrn

"THUFIR HAWAT" <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 3/29/06, Martin <virenfang@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:15:23PM +0100, hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > Is this a slrn or leafnode problem?
>>
>> It's a PEBKAC (slrn). ;-)
>
> Has this replaced RTFM?  That I haven't gotten the memo is troubling... ;)
>
> Had to google it, and someone wanted to sell me a shirt.
>
> I'm unconvinced that it's slrn, here's why.  Slrn used to work.  Then
> I configured leafnode.  Now, slrn won't connect with *any* news
> server.  Ergo, leafnode did something.  Faulty logic?

Not quite, but not a proof leafnode broke something either.

leafnode itself doesn't change your system (your distribution's
postinstall/setup scripts might, though).

> Kinda, Martin.  I'd like to get slrn to connect to leafnode.  Pan does
> so fine, but I'm not a fan.  Alternately, totally off topic, I'd like
> to get slrn to connect to my ISP's news server, just to establish for
> myself that slrn works.

My personal preference for a console news reader is tin (or rather rtin,
since I'm using leafnode-2 where the clients must talk NNTP and cannot
access the spool directly) anyways.

> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.11.3.rel running at localhost (my
> fqdn: geidiprime.servebeer.com)

This, which you already showed earlier, means that leafnode starts up
properly and it got this geidiprime.servebeer.com configured explicitly
via config file, or it looked up the hostname and fed it through
qualification.

I cannot help with the slrn part of the problem - but it looks more like
a slrn problem than a leafnode problem to me.