[leafnode-list] Re: Leafnode can't see spamcop newsgroup

Tristan Miller wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> On Monday 24 April 2006 14:21, Matthias Andree wrote:
>>> I have the following line in my /etc/leafnode/config:
>>>
>>> server = news.spamcop.net
>>>
>>> However, leafnode doesn't see the spamcop newsgroup.  It's not in
>>> the /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo file
>> I just tried with 1.11.5, it lists the newsgroup when asked for the
>> group list (LIST or LIST ACTIVE spam*), I can enter it (GROUP spamcop),
>> so we'll probably need more detail to figure what's going on with your
>> version.  As a first step, try running "fetchnews -f" to see if
>> re-retrieving the group list fixes the issue.
>
> Yes, that fixed it. I think the problem was that I had previously had the
> following line for the spamcop server in my config file:
>
> only_groups_pcre = spamcop\.
>
> I removed this line after I noticed that the spamcop newsgroup was missing.
> (I should have omitted the "\." when I added that line in the first
> place.)  I had assumed that Leafnode would detect that the config file had
> changed and update its group list.  My assumption turned out to be
> incorrect.  Perhaps there is a good reason for this behaviour, but if not
> I suggest that it be changed.

Well, the reason is efficiency. Downloading active lists from half a dozen
servers via modem isn't fun, and the requirement to use "fetchnews -f" is
documented both in config.example and the manual page, and forcing "-f" for
 every configuration change seems excessive to me, while on the other hand
checking if server/only_groups_pcre assignments changed requires more effort
than I am willing to spend on leafnode-1.

I hope that's ok.

Kind regards,
Matthias