[leafnode-list] Re: help with spool problem?

Theodore Heise <theo@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 2 May 2006, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Theodore Heise <theo@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>>  ...Is there a way to run texpire to remove the old posts using
>>> the Date: header?
>
>> I have had a first look at the leafnode-2 code and might come up
>> with experimental patches later this week. It shouldn't be too
>> difficult, but it needs to be done with care, and my spare time is
>> split up, 30 mins here, 20 there at the moment, so I don't dare go
>> beyond planning yet.
>>
>> WRT the 2003, 2004 and 2005 posts, perhaps a regexp filter (see
>> the filterfile option) and running the applyfilter program can
>> help. For testing, use the --dry-run option of applyfilter's.
>>
>> Hope that helps until the code is in place.
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Thanks for this helpful information.  Please don't go to a lot of
> trouble coding for this on my account, unless you think it would be
> a generally useful feature.  It's nothing urgent for me, but I'll
> take a look at the filterfile option when I have some spare time.

If you are feeling uncomfortable now and need an apology: :-)

You're neither the first nor the only person who has asked for Date:- or
Expire:-based expiry; basically I need to use the XOVER rather than stat
data. AFAIR (need to check the code) the XOVER data has been updated
when the actual expiry function commences, and then it shouldn't be too
much of an effort, neither for the programmer nor for the computer later on.

Unfortunately, Expire: header support will be more effort for either the
computer or myself since it's not currently in the XOVER data. Its
format is hardcoded for the major part (RFC-2980 permits just one fixed
XOVER format), but I think I'll have to revisit the current nntpext
drafts before touching that part, in order not to make changes that are
obsolete when the NNTP 2 standards will be complete.

So I think we might see Date: expiry support sooner than Expire:.

Kind regards,