[leafnode-list] Re: Should touch_newsgroup touch the first or last article in the group?

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 01:28:05PM +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
> I think that `touch_newsgroup alt.foo.bar` updates the access time of
> the first article in /var/spool/news/alt/foo/bar/ and that this keeps
> texpire from deleting old articles in that directory (unless the -f
> option is added).

> Is this correct?

No.  touch_newsgroup connects to Leafnode via NNTP and reads the first
article the server offers which ought to cause Leafnode to update its
idea of when the group was last read.  How that's done is up to
Leafnode.

Note that touch_newsgroup is part of the Debian package and is not
included in Leafnode itself.  I believe it shouldn't be needed with
current Leafnode versions due to improvements in the way it decides if
groups are unread.