[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode2 hostname problems

* Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> :
> Troy Piggins <troy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > [posted also on news.software.nntp]
> >
> > My leafnode2 worked for a few hours, I was able to run fetchnews
> > etc, even posted some, with these settings:
> >
> > -----8<-----
> > $ cat /etc/hostname
> > armadillo
>
> Is that what your system picks up?
> Try the "hostname" command, it should print armadillo.

$ hostname
armadillo

> > $ cat /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1       armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org localhost
> >
> > 192.168.0.1 armadillo dns mail www news
>
> I think the machine might have difficulties qualifying the hostname this
> way. "armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org" and "armadillo" have to be on the same
> line, like this, with the fully qualified version first, then the
> shortnames:
>
> 127.0.0.1   localhost
> 192.168.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org armadillo dns mail www news
>
> > Why isn't the hostname setting in /etc/leafnode/config recognised at
> > all?  I'm sure it worked in leafnode1.
>
> It's supposed to work in leafnode-2, too. There's a bug however that
> prevents it from working properly. New snapshot in a minute.

Wow - thanks for the fast turnaround!  Sorry it looks like a mailed
a whole bunch of emails same time last night, but I actually had a
problem with postfix deferring mails for some reason and I only
fixed it last night.

Hmm.  Applied the patch.  Recompiled, make installed, restarted
xinetd:

$ cat /etc/hosts|grep armadillo
127.0.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org localhost
192.168.0.1 armadillo dns mail www news

$ telnet armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org nntp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 Leafnode NNTP daemon, version 2.0.0.alpha20060608a at
armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org
^]
telnet> Connection closed.

$ sudo fetchnews -vvv
fetchnews mode: get articles, get headers, get bodies, post articles
Internal error: must not try to lock with local host name
"armadillo"
fetchnews: lockfile /var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file exists,
abort

$ sudo ls -l /var/spool/news/leaf.node/
total 2580
-rw------- 1 news news       0 2006-06-07 16:05 :active.read
-rw-r----- 1 news news     357 2006-06-08 09:00
freenews.iinet.net.au
-rw-rw---- 1 news news 2632583 2006-06-08 09:00 groupinfo
-rw------- 1 news news       0 2006-06-07 16:05
last:freenews.iinet.net.au:0

freenews.iinet.net.au is my upstream server.

Changed /etc/hosts:

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org armadillo dns mail www news

$ cat /etc/hosts.allow | grep leafnode
leafnode: 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.1

Restarted dnsmasq and xinetd.

$ telnet armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org nntp
Trying 192.168.0.1...
Connected to armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Not working.

I'll keep tinkering but something doesn't seem right.

--
Troy Piggins
  ,-o   Ubuntu v6.06 (Dapper Drake): kernel 2.6.15-23-server,