[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode2 hostname problems

Troy Piggins <troy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> * Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> :
>> Is that what your system picks up?
>> Try the "hostname" command, it should print armadillo.
>
> $ hostname
> armadillo

Fine, that works.

> Hmm.  Applied the patch.  Recompiled, make installed, restarted
> xinetd:

No need to restart xinetd. It will start a new leafnode process (with
new process and perhaps new configuration) for each and every new
connection.

> $ cat /etc/hosts|grep armadillo
> 127.0.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org localhost
> 192.168.0.1 armadillo dns mail www news

Still wrong, but the workaround works - for the leafnode daemon at least...

> $ sudo fetchnews -vvv
> fetchnews mode: get articles, get headers, get bodies, post articles
> Internal error: must not try to lock with local host name
> "armadillo"

...but not for others. Some parts of the code haven't changed in years,
so I simply had forgotten about other parts that still relied on a real FQDN.

> fetchnews: lockfile /var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file exists,
> abort

Looks like another cosmetic bug that is misreporting the reason. The
actual reason is the invalid hostname, which blocked creation of the
lockfile... There's more of the FQDN confusion. I think I'll rather back
out the recent change again so that leafnode fails up front, rather than
later in more subtle ways.

Background: some people used leafnode over NFS, and I wanted (and still
want) to prevent two leafnodes setting lockfiles with the same
hostname. Thus...

> $ sudo ls -l /var/spool/news/leaf.node/

...no lockfile here.

> Changed /etc/hosts:
>
> $ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1	localhost
> 192.168.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org armadillo dns mail www news

Does leafnode still work if you comment out its
hostname=... configuration line? It should.

> $ cat /etc/hosts.allow | grep leafnode
> leafnode: 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.1
>
> Restarted dnsmasq and xinetd.
>
> $ telnet armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org nntp
> Trying 192.168.0.1...
> Connected to armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Not working.

Troy Piggins <troy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I should have added this:
>
> $ telnet 127.0.0.1 nntp
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to 127.0.0.1.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 Leafnode NNTP daemon, version 2.0.0.alpha20060608a at armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org
>
> telnet> Connection closed.
>
> So seems to be working there.  Fetchnews worked also, so it just
> seems to be telnetting armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org.
>
> Setting NNTPSERVER to armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org slrn wouldn't
> connect.

As a result of the same issue you observed with telnet.

What's your xinetd version, and what's in the logs (syslog for daemons
and syslog for news -- you may need to enable the latter, many systems
don't capture news logging by default)?

Can you find the xinetd startup messages in the log and show them, and
the messages around your connection attempt?

Some xinetd versions are picky and may be confused about IPv6 and
untangling xinetd versions, their exact IPv6 and IPv6-mapped-IPv4
behavior and perhaps libwrap IPv6 patches can get awkward; perhaps
"flags = IPv4" in the xinetd configuration file for the leafnode service
can help - that's not guaranteed, but worth a try.