[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode2 hostname problems

Troy Piggins <troy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > $ cat /etc/hosts|grep armadillo
>> > 127.0.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org localhost
>> > 192.168.0.1 armadillo dns mail www news
>>
>> Still wrong, but the workaround works - for the leafnode daemon at least...
>
> Yeah, I know you said to put both in same line, but I wanted to test
> the leafnode hostname directive worked first ;-)

Fine. I have since reverted the patch for the "b" snapshot because of
the subtle failures you observed. There's more code review and some
thinking over concepts and requirements necessary that cannot happen in
a hurry. Back to the status quo ante.

>> > $ cat /etc/hosts
>> > 127.0.0.1	localhost
>> > 192.168.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org armadillo dns mail www news
>>
>> Does leafnode still work if you comment out its
>> hostname=... configuration line? It should.
>
> No.  Just tried it.
>
> $ telnet armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org nntp
> Trying 192.168.0.1...
> Connected to armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ^]
> telnet> Connection closed.
>
> $ telnet localhost nntp
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 Leafnode NNTP daemon, version 2.0.0.alpha20060608a at
> armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org
> ^]
> telnet> Connection closed.
>
> So it's working on localhost but not using the FQDN.  That's with
> hostname commented out in /etc/leafnode/config.

That's ok. The question was whether the daemon started at all, and
*that* is independent of the IP you are connecting to (and hence, also
from, if it's an IP of your own computer) - and evidently the problem is
with xinetd or a firewall now, not leafnode.

>> Can you find the xinetd startup messages in the log and show them, and
>> the messages around your connection attempt?
>
> $ sudo cat /var/log/syslog|grep xinetd
> [snip]

[...]

> Jun  9 09:21:06 armadillo xinetd[3538]: xinetd Version 2.3.14
> started with libwrap loadavg options compiled in.

OK, good to know they use decent compile options for Ubuntu.

> Jun  9 09:21:06 armadillo xinetd[3538]: Started working: 1 available
> service
>
> When try to telnet armadillo... first, then tried localhost:
>
> Jun  9 10:02:41 armadillo leafnode[4010]: refused connect from
> 192.168.1.10 (192.168.1.10)

It appears the IP addresses in /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow do not
match. What are your computers and their IP addresses (as per "ifconfig"
or "ip addr show" - doesn't matter which one you use)?