[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode2 hostname problems

Please let me drop a note to xinetd:

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:47:28AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Troy Piggins <troy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hmm.  Applied the patch.  Recompiled, make installed, restarted
> > xinetd:
>
> No need to restart xinetd. It will start a new leafnode process (with
> new process and perhaps new configuration) for each and every new
> connection.

Are you sure?

man xinetd.conf:

|flags            Any combination of the following flags may be used:
[...]
|     REUSE       The  REUSE flag is deprecated.  All services now
|                 implicitly use the REUSE flag.

I do not know whether I understand this right (then an open pipe from
xinetd to leafnode will be kept alive for some time and be reused when
there's a new request for nntp).

I do not know whether you insure restarting leafnode with every new
request either. (In this case leafnode would exit() or something closing
the pipe to xinetd this way - I'm hoping that this is possible at all.)

> > Changed /etc/hosts:
> >
> > $ cat /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1	localhost
> > 192.168.0.1 armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org armadillo dns mail www news
>
> Does leafnode still work if you comment out its
> hostname=... configuration line? It should.

You can *really* play around with xinetd having a lot of fun with
bindings. If I remember correctly, xinetd

|defaults
|{
|        only_from      = localhost
|        bind           = 127.0.0.1
[...]
|}

(excerpt from /etc/xinetd.conf)

So only connections from localhost are allowed, and services only listen
on 127.0.0.1. (Please don't ask for the difference. ;-) )

By the way: Long time ago I had a similar problem, having a line like
|192.168.0.1  armadillo  armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org

This was solved as described by you:
|192.168.0.1  armadillo.piggo.dyndns.org  armadillo

The setting of `hostname` was a FQDN.

Have a nice day

Martin