[leafnode-list] Fetchnews - glibc detected *** double free or corruption - aborted

Hi there,

I'm having a bit of a problem with fetchnews on one of my systems,
which gives this error:

    $ sudo fetchnews -vvv
    Password:
    fetchnews mode: get articles, get headers, get bodies, post articles
    erased stale pid 8995 host quattro.stroller.uk.eu.org lockfile /
var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file
    *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev):
0x08068d98 ***
    Aborted
    $ sudo rm -f /var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file
    $ sudo fetchnews -vvv
    fetchnews mode: get articles, get headers, get bodies, post articles
    *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev):
0x08068d98 ***
    Aborted
    $

It used to work fine, but I am using the Gentoo distro and upgraded
something else and now fetchnews does this consistently. I have tried
recompiling Leafnode, libpcre and most every package on my system
(using `emerge -e leafnode) and I still get this problem; it gives
the same symptoms using the 20060321 snapshot (supplied by Gentoo's
portage) and the 20060608 snapshot, both irrespective of whether I
compile them using Gentoo's ebuild or manually using `./configure ;
make ; make install`.

I have this idea that this "double free" message may be only a run-
time warning from the compiler, but I have no idea to disable it.

Portage's `emerge --info` command produces some information which I
think may be relevant; I've snipped the bits that don't seem so:

    sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3,
1.9.6-r1
    sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r2
    sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r2
    sys-devel/libtool:   1.4.3-r4, 1.5.22
    virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
    AUTOCLEAN="yes"
    CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium2 -fomit-frame-pointer"
      (I have also tried with "-O0" and "-O2 -march=pentium2"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe"
    MAKEOPTS="-j5"
      (I have also tried with "-j1")

And:

    $ `which gcc` --version
    gcc (GCC) 3.3.6 (Gentoo 3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8)
There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

    $

I'll fine a bug with Gentoo if necessary, but so far I haven't had
much help on their -user mailing list. Because i get the same thing
if I compile manually I thought I'd give this problem a quick airing
here. Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks,

Stroller.