[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews - glibc detected *** double free or corruption - aborted

On 2 Jul 2006, at 19:44, Martin wrote:

>> I'm having a bit of a problem with fetchnews on one of my systems,
>> which gives this error:
>>
>>     $ sudo fetchnews -vvv
>
> What happens, if you do *not* sudo but log in as root and then
> fetchnews?

Sorry, I should have said: exactly the same thing.

>> I have this idea that this "double free" message may be only a run-
>> time warning from the compiler, but I have no idea to disable it.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg01918.html

I _think_ the implication of this is that I can do

   # MALLOC_CHECK_=0 fetchnews -vvv

??

I'll try this shortly (I'm bogged down in some other stuff right now).

> .... gcc is
> installed in versions 3.3.6 and 3.4.6-r1, gcc-config says I'm using
> 3.4.6 (I suspect you also habe an installed 3.4.6, but did not switch
> with gcc-config. Remember to fix_libtool_files.sh!)

Yes, that's in fact true, but I'm pretty sketchy on this aspect of
Gentoo.

I've just Googled & found <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-
upgrading.xml#upgrade-3.3-to-3.4> so I'll try that now.

>> I'll fine a bug with Gentoo if necessary, but so far I haven't had
>> much help on their -user mailing list....
>
> Maybe I could risk a short look at how much traffic is on -user, but I
> think itd be too much for my poor mailbox. I'm currently reading only
> -user-de.

Actually, it seems remarkably low volume to me, these days. 59
messages yesterday, 101 the day before.

Stroller.