[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews - glibc detected *** double free or corruption - aborted

Stroller <linux.luser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>     CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium2 -fomit-frame-pointer"

-fomit-frame-pointer forfeits most of the debugging efforts.
Please don't use it.

And back to the original order:

> I'm having a bit of a problem with fetchnews on one of my systems,
> which gives this error:
>
>     $ sudo fetchnews -vvv
>     Password:
>     fetchnews mode: get articles, get headers, get bodies, post articles
>     erased stale pid 8995 host quattro.stroller.uk.eu.org lockfile /
> var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file
>     *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev):
> 0x08068d98 ***

Can you do this:

1. make sure that your leafnode install does not strip debugging
   symbols. In doubt, CFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O1" ./configure ; make
   and then make install (add other configure options as you need them).

2. Install the most recent valgrind you can find and then run:

   sudo valgrind --leak-check=yes --show-reachable=yes \
                 --num-callers=16 --quiet fetchnews -vvv 2>&1 \
   tee fetchnews.log

(When writing this on a single line, omit the \; otherwise make sure
there are no spaces after the \)

Otherwise, you can run:

sudo gdb fetchnews

and in GDB:

b abort
run -vvv
(wait until glibc complains)
backtrace full
quit

And provide the output to me. If it's excessively large, please gzip and
mail me directly, anything up to 200 lines of logs should be fine for
the list.

> It used to work fine, but I am using the Gentoo distro and upgraded
> something else

Can you find out from Gentoo's package tools/databases which packages
were changed?

> I have this idea that this "double free" message may be only a run-
> time warning from the compiler, but I have no idea to disable it.

It's a runtime failure from fetchnews.