[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews - glibc detected *** double free or corruption - aborted

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:29:20AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Stroller <linux.luser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >     CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium2 -fomit-frame-pointer"
>
> -fomit-frame-pointer forfeits most of the debugging efforts.
> Please don't use it.

emerge does anyway.

> > I'm having a bit of a problem with fetchnews on one of my systems,
> > which gives this error:
> >
> >     $ sudo fetchnews -vvv
> >     Password:
> >     fetchnews mode: get articles, get headers, get bodies, post articles
> >     erased stale pid 8995 host quattro.stroller.uk.eu.org lockfile /
> > var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file
> >     *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev):
> > 0x08068d98 ***
>
> Can you do this:
>
> 1. make sure that your leafnode install does not strip debugging
>    symbols. In doubt, CFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O1" ./configure ; make
>    and then make install (add other configure options as you need them).

I would not really like to do this, since this installs files beside the
portage system and I'm not a friend of this. (Long time ago I had a
slackware-install and installed other programs "from source" beside it.
Since there was chaos at the end, I'm a little shy concerning these
things.)

I'd suggest tuning make.conf the following way:

1) Add FEATURES="nostrip"
2) Use CFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O1"

The call for configure in the ebuild uses the default options
                --sysconfdir=/etc/leafnode \
                --with-runas-user=news \
                --localstatedir=/var \
                --with-spooldir=/var/spool/news \
                $(use_with ipv6) \
                $(use_with pam)

Probably there's no harm in any of these. So a "emerge leafnode" could
be fine after that, couldn't it?

> > It used to work fine, but I am using the Gentoo distro and upgraded
> > something else
>
> Can you find out from Gentoo's package tools/databases which packages
> were changed?

In case he provides the time between the last fetchnews working and the
first time not working I could do some research. "find" in the
portage-tree should be alright.

Anybody out there who's willing to write a working nightly-ebuild? ;-)

Martin