[leafnode-list] "References: does not contain @" - and articles get deleted. :-(

Hi, Matthias and Leafnode!

I've just moved my Leafnode spool from Leafnode 1.9.19 to Leafnode
1.11.2.rel, as packaged by Debian Sarge.  My kernel is Linux 2.6.8.
(Hey, if you want me to upgrade more often, you should leave more bugs
in the older versions.  ;-)

When I fired up my newsreader (tin), it took forever to get into a
group, and looking closely at the group, the new Leafnode had deleted
lots of my old articles.  (Note:  I keep some articles for years, for
example in the technical groups, where I treat them as a knowledge
database.)

Looking at my /var/log/syslog, I see messages such as:

Jul 16 15:28:41 localhost leafnode[2286]: illegal line for article 2637 in .overview for /mnt/hdg12/experiment-spool-news/talk/\politics/crypto: References: does not contain @

, and indeed there was a technical irregularity in the References:
header in both the article and the .overview file.  The offending
fragment of the header looked like this:

<IPaJ3.158$3l4.16260@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <tlb <37FA077A.2FBA53C0@xxxxxxx>
                                                ^^^^^

At a guess, some ancient brain-dead NNTP server truncated the

However, I'm unhappy that Leafnode has just deleted articles like this,
without asking me, and without even leaving a meaningful record (such as
a Message-Id:) of what it has deleted.  Luckily, I didn't lose anything,
since I had copied the entire spool to a new (faster) hard drive.

I've skimmed through the Leafnode manpage looking for something to
unconfigure in /etc/news/leafnode/config, but not found it.  I really
don't want articles with technical irregularities just to be deleted.
Is there any way I can tweak this Leafnode so that it won't, and if so
what is it?

Thanks in advance!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)