[leafnode-list] Re: LIST filtering

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Matthew Parry wrote:

> I'm not sure if you would want to make this patch a standard part
> or leafnode2 or not, so I made it's compilation conditional on
> GROUPINFO_FILTERS being defined.

I tend to think that this kind of diversity is of disadvantage, since it
makes the documentation longer, makes (later on) users depend on
packager's decisions and ask support questions of the "why does ... not
work for me and all users see all groups", so I'd probably merge without
#ifdef.

I'll review your group access control and list filtering patches as time
permits. Are you licensing your code under GNU GPL v2 or a compatible
license? Or would you prefer to transfer copyright to me?

We may need to talk about the user interface rationale, because
something like "user-dependent newsgroups" (based on some
"authentication" not specified in detail yet, might be IP- or
user/password based or perhaps, much later, a client-side TLS
certificate) is already on the TODO list and would combine nicely with
this approach, but if I find the code acceptable, chances are I'll take
your suggestion (perhaps without #ifdef) now and refine the interface
later - after all, that's what alpha versions and snapshots are for.

Sorry I cannot be quicker to respond ATM, I have some real-life work at
hand and a few important fetchmail bug fixes pending that have higher
priority than new leafnode features.

What I can already say is: Thank You for your contributions!

Kind regards,