[leafnode-list] Re: status of leafnode 2 and how to upgrade from leafnode 1

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 11:14:01AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> fetches group articles faster (thanks to pipelining ARTICLE or
> HEAD/BODY commands).

Which was a big issue when Cornelius and I worked on this in
1999/2000 when many people still had expensive dial-up
connections that were not fully utilized by fetchnews.

> Official mail2news gatewaying isn't integrated and probably suffers from
> the usual "Message-ID are unique per server" problem that impairs messages
> sent to several lists at the same time.  I don't know the state of Jörg
> Dietrich's prior works or views on this either.

I run a mail2news gateway for three or four mailing lists on my
computer. I wrote a python programme for this. It is available
from <http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~dietrich/mail2news/>. The
program lacks documentation and testing by a wider audience,
which is the reason for its "alpha status". However, the program
has been working for me for the last 2 years without any need of
intervention. But I have very little feedback from others.

Mail2news.py tries to circumvent the problem of unique
Message-IDs by cross-posting to newsgroups corresponding to the
mailing lists the original mail was sent to. Because
cross-mailing does not happen with the few mailing list I am
subscribed to this feature is anything but well tested.

> It is alpha because I don't care too much for compatibility between
> leafnode-2 versions until I'm happy with it (not much work has been done
> to leafnode-2 in the past weeks since I've been busy with difficult
> fetchmail bug fixes). Else, I know of few bugs that hinder daily
> personal use and am usually quick to fix bugs given the report is
> substantiated (for instance, with a stack backtrace).

As someone who contributed a substantial amount of code in the
past, I find this a very frustrating status. Since 2000 leafnode-2
provides significant improved features over leafnode-1. I have
been using leafnode-2 in production mode for four or five years
now. I really do not understand what keeps you from releasing it
instead of keeping it in alpha stage for 5 years and still
supporting leafnode-1, which has been technically obsoleted by
many improvements in leafnode-2.

Cheers,
	Jo:rg

--
       ---===  Encrypted mail preferred. Key-ID: 1024D/2B693EBF  ===---
Fortune cookie of the day: