[leafnode-list] Re: [alpha] permission change for news spool

Christian Ebert <blacktrash@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I guess the new permissions are more correct than the previous
> ones; still it would be nice if someone explained to me whether
> or why the new setting are mandatory even on a *very* small site
> (my private laptop) -- before I code workarounds for all my
> scripts and someone comes up and says: "Oh, you could've just
> changed the permissions of the spool ..."

I reserve the right to break your scripts later anytime anyways...
once the spool format changes, your scripts stop working.

Besides that, leafnode's security model relies on such permissions. If
you're on a trusted machine, you can of course hack all you want as long
as you don't ask for support - and unfortunately for you, there is no
central place where you could adjust permissions. The "no world
permissions" paradigm is hard-wired at the moment.