[leafnode-list] Re: Filling the gap.

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 00:33:56 +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Thufir <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Globally, I don't want to set maxfetch in order to, as default behavior,
>> prevent gaps.  However, for a small number of groups I don't want this
>> default behavior, for those groups I _do_ want to set maxfetch.
>
>> What I want is to set maxfetch for very.crowded.group _only_ and not for
>> any other groups.  Is this possible?
>
> Not at this time. However setting this to some large value will cut off
> "too much" of "very-crowded" groups, but since low-traffic groups will
> have fewer posts, they won't usually reach that limit.
>
> (It might be useful to set a posting rate that depends on when the last
> successful fetch from that group was, but there is no code yet in place
> to keep track which group was completed when, so it's nontrivial.)

I've only briefly looked at INN and suck.

In a nutshell, what do those, or other alternatives, offer for the home
user which leafnode lacks?

Err, thread hijacking warning in effect!  Or, going off on a tangent.

For instance, multiple simultaneous connections to a single (or even
multiple) server(s), or something akin to setting "maxfetch" specific to a
group, and not globally.

thanks,

Thufir