[leafnode-list] Re: Filling the gap.

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Matthias Andree wrote:

From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Filling the gap.
Newsgroups: gmane.network.leafnode

Thufir <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Globally, I don't want to set maxfetch in order to, as default behavior,
prevent gaps.  However, for a small number of groups I don't want this
default behavior, for those groups I _do_ want to set maxfetch.

What I want is to set maxfetch for very.crowded.group _only_ and not for
any other groups.  Is this possible?

Not at this time. However setting this to some large value will cut off
"too much" of "very-crowded" groups, but since low-traffic groups will
have fewer posts, they won't usually reach that limit.

(It might be useful to set a posting rate that depends on when the last
successful fetch from that group was, but there is no code yet in place
to keep track which group was completed when, so it's nontrivial.)

from the fetchnews man page:

ENVIRONMENT
       LN_SKIP_GROUPS=pattern[,pattern[...]]    (since
       v1.9.53)
              If set, all groups that match one of the
              wildmat(3) patterns will be skipped dur-
              ing the fetch. This can  be  used  as  a
              quick way of skipping binary groups dur-
              ing daytime, for instance, example:

              env      â??LN_SKIP_GROUPS=*binary*,alt.*â??
              /usr/sbin/fetchnews -nq

Could I get a concrete example of how this is done, please?

thanks,

Thufir