[leafnode-list] Just starting out, looking for hints

I've just installed leafnode 1.11.5-3 from Debian unstable and am using
it in conjunction with Mozilla Thunderbird, having grown tired of spam
in debian lists (that was flagged with a cross-post to
gmane.spam.detected) and had pan and knode lock-up on me and not offer
much more in the way of filtering.

My /etc/news/config is at the moment:

expire = 31
server = news-server.bigpond.net.au
initialfetch = 1000
groupexpire comp.risks = 365
server = news.gmane.org
initialfetch = 1000
only_groups_pcre = gmane\.
server = news.mozilla.org
initialfetch = 1000
only_groups_pcre = mozilla\.
nodesc = 1
maxcrosspost = 5
filterfile = /etc/news/leafnode/filters
article_despite_filter = 1

with /etc/news/leafnode/filters set to:

^Newsgroups:.*[, ]gmane.spam.detected$
^Newsgroups:.*[, ]gmane.spam.detected,

to remove material cross-posted to gmane.spam.detected.

The only problem so far is that comp.risks only has the most recent
issue in it, whereas knode fetched the last 17 issues from
news-server.bigpond.net.au.

Any suggestions for improvements to the above config or filters welcomed.

Arthur.

PS, I wrote the following script to get my Siemens Speedstream 4200 DSL
router's FQDN:

#!/bin/sh
nslookup `lynx -dump http://10.0.0.138/summary.htm|grep BUTTON|awk
'{print $4}'`|grep "="|grep -v ns|awk '{print $4}'

which at present returns:

CPE-124-177-227-100.sa.bigpond.net.au.

and manually edited /etc/hosts to read:

127.0.0.1 CPE-124-177-227-100.sa.bigpond.net.au localhost       victoria

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Is there a more 'elegant' way to get a fully qualified domain name for
leafnode?

Arthur.