[leafnode-list] Re: Just starting out, looking for hints

Peter J Ross wrote, On 2006-09-25 02:47:
> On Sunday 24 September 2006 14:16, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>
>> only_groups_pcre = gmane\.
> only_groups_pcre = ^gmane\.
>
>> only_groups_pcre = mozilla\.
> only_groups_pcre = ^mozilla\.

Thanks, done.

> (These changes prevent confusion with alt.mozilla.*, etc.)
>

>> ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]gmane.spam.detected$
>> ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]gmane.spam.detected,
>
> In one line:
>
> ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]gmane.spam.detected(,|$)
>
> (not tested)
>

>> The only problem so far is that comp.risks only has the most recent
>> issue in it, whereas knode fetched the last 17 issues from
>> news-server.bigpond.net.au.
>
> fetchnews -x might work.

fetchnews -x 180

retrieved the extra articles in comp.risks

>> Is there a more 'elegant' way to get a fully qualified domain name
>> for leafnode?
>
> Yes. I use <http://www.dyndns.com/> to obtain a "real" domain, and
> similar free services are available elsewhere. With the arrangements
> you've made, there's a danger that the FQDN might suddenly start
> belonging to somebody else, even if your IP number is alleged to be
> static.

Given that I'd created a comand "fqdn" to obtain my FQDN from my DSL router:

#!/bin/sh
nslookup `lynx -dump http://10.0.0.138/summary.htm|grep BUTTON \
|awk '{print $4}'`|grep "="|grep -v ns|awk '{print $4}'

I could do:

echo "127.0.0.1 `fqdn` localhost victoria" > /etc/hosts.new
grep -v 127.0.0.1 /etc/hosts >> /etc/hosts.new
mv /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.old;mv /etc/hosts.new /etc/hosts

at startup just before starting inetd (with some extra checking to see
that the first line was created successfully before changing over to the
new version of the file) to ensure that I'm only posting from my
connection's FQDN.

Arthur.