[leafnode-list] leafnode and moderated newsgroups

OK, I'm now running thunderbird 1.5.0.7 and leafnode 1.11-5 and am
trying to understand how it handles moderated newsgroups (specifically
groups hosted by news.gmane.org).

It appears that with moderated gmane.* newsgroups submissions get sent
directly from my machine to gmane *via email* even though email from the
smtp server on my machine establishes a secure connection with my ISP's
mail server for outgoing mail.

Can anyone provide me with more explanation? I would like outgoing
emails to go via my ISP's mail server.

Feel free to dissect the headers in this posting to find out what
actually happens.

Arthur.