[leafnode-list] Re: no archive messages

Mark Brown schrieb am 2006-10-04:

> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:02:17AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Paul Johnson schrieb am 2006-09-30:
>
> > > Are there any debian leafnode2 packages for those of us wanting to experiment
> > > with it?
>
> > Not officially - Debian's support policy got end users stuck with a
> > severely b0rked 1.9.19 version for years, so to avoid such states in the
> > future I'm recommending against packaging leafnode-2 yet. If you feel
> > you must do it, be prepared to deliver an update for the same
> > distribution no matter what code changed.
>
> Well, you've also asked not to have packages in experimental (which will
> never get released so there's no danger there).

Basically, you need to take responsibility for your package then.

I wonder if users see "experimental" the same way, or if we're going to
see complaints of users with outdated versions, either because the
packager can't update the packages for policy or other reasons, or
because the users aren't checking for updates before creating support
workload.  There shouldn't be any barriers (such as policies,
foreseeable resource shortages) preventing updating to the latest
version except showstopper bugs in it, and the packager should perform
some basic triage on support requests and bug reports to filter out
reports for versions that have since been superseded.

I don't want masses of unexperienced users going for leafnode-2 create
support load just because leafnode-2 looks newer to them or shouting at
me because I changed something and now a script they found on some old
website that is no longer maintained stopped working or something like
that. I have little enough time through the end of 2006 to not be
willing to take any extra but avoidable workload - the bug report rate
for leafnode-1 is virtually zero, which is easy to handle, with Adam
Funk's broken References vs. deleted articles issue still pending for
1.11.6 that is to come later (no scheduled date exists).

Kind regards,