[leafnode-list] Re: no archive messages

Hello,

sorry for wasting your time, but there are some remarks I want to have
made.

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:14:37AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Basically, you need to take responsibility for your package then.

I always thought, whoever releases a package, is obliged to take
responsibility. And that's also the reason, why I do not slip any
ebuilds into official or half-official ebuild-trees or submit any ebuild
via Bugzilla or send them to this list. Because I do not have the time
to update them as soon as a new version comes out.

As of today, there's still the "leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20060831a coming
out" message in my inbox, since I did not have the time to update my
ebuild from leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20060711a (with patch) to the later
release. No "official" ebuild appeared since.

> I wonder if users see "experimental" the same way,

"experimental" means using a piece of software, that gives you a lot of
opportunities, that gives you the chance to tell your wishes, but that
can go down any day and any update (even if chances are quite low and
effects are less severe).

> or if we're going to
> see complaints of users with outdated versions, either because the
> packager can't update the packages for policy or other reasons, or
> because the users aren't checking for updates before creating support
> workload.

I always thought, in case something's not working, one has to ask for
help there, where they got things from. In case of debian: Whereever one
downloaded the package from. Isn't this common practice any more?

> I don't want masses of unexperienced users going for leafnode-2 create
> support load just because leafnode-2 looks newer to them or shouting at
> me because I changed something and now a script they found on some old
> website that is no longer maintained stopped working or something like
> that.

Everybody may shout at me for things, I promised him or her. Everyone
may shout at me for things, they paid me for.

You did not promise anything, as far as I remember. Noone paid you for
getting a working news system. So anybody demanding anything *has* to
make things better or pay someone for creating some better working
system.

I'd just take the right to ignore such mails completely.

Thank you, Matthias, for doing a good job with a good news system. For
giving your time to development of a news system helping everyone.

Martin