[leafnode-list] Re: no archive messages

Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 07:55:06PM -0400, Brian Sammon wrote:
>
>> It doesn't have to be you. Someone else could release leafnode2 as a separate
>> package.
>
> I don't think that a separate package is a terribly clever idea.
> Leafnode 2 should be a drop in replacement for Leafnode 1

It cannot be a drop-in, since the hash function for Message-IDs is
different (making message.id/NNN/ assume a different layout), internal
file formats change and some filenames of internal book-keeping files
have also changed.

At the very least, the downgrade way should be blocked and require a
purge first (telling users this in the leafnode-2 preinstall that
they're on a path with no return), and several updating procedures such
as "texpire -r" (perhaps more, make update or something perhaps -- I'm
_not_ checking what else right now, that's for when leafnode-2 reaches
beta) need to be run in postinstall, additionally taking care of chroots
used for install any any other nitpicking like that.

> FWIW there's generally not much involved in the packaging at the minute:
> both Leafnode 1 and Leafnode 2 are pretty static from the point of view
> of packaging.

Which is intentional BTW. No need wasting everybody else's time if I can
help it. I've done this before with the chmod fiddling for the
out.going/ files between 1.9.23 and 1.9.33 and it was a pain for the
users.