[leafnode-list] logrotate, sysklogd, news logs (again).

I upgraded a computer from Ubuntu Feisty to Gutsy recently and then
ran into the "not logging through syslog" problem described in a

So I edited /etc/logrotate.d/leafnode and changed this (the last
stanza)

/var/log/news/news.info {
    daily
    rotate 5
    compress
    missingok
}

to this

/var/log/news/news.info {
    daily
    rotate 5
    compress
    missingok
    sharedscripts
    postrotate
        kill -1 $(cat /var/run/syslogd.pid)
    endscript
}

That didn't work, so I added the same four lines to the entries for
news.crit, news.err and news.notice in the same file.  I believe the
kill -1 is SIGHUPping the daemon because I see
   syslogd 1.4.1#21ubuntu3: restart.
entries in the syslog at the time of the log rotation.

I believe my cron.daily is carrying out logrotate before the sysklogd
script (which rotates syslog and restarts the daemon again).

Any further debugging suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

[1]