[leafnode-list] Re: logrotate, sysklogd, news logs (again).

On 2007-12-26, Matthias Andree wrote:

>> I believe my cron.daily is carrying out logrotate before the sysklogd
>> script (which rotates syslog and restarts the daemon again).

> how does your /etc/syslog.conf look like?
> That is, there is no news.info logging at all, and notice logging is
> deliberately scarcer (it's a higher severity) than info.
>
> You can of course add a news.info line or replace the news.notice line
> to have news.info logged, and you'll want to accompany that by the first
> logrotate.d/leafnode block you've shown above.

My syslog.conf is slightly customized to log news.info to its own file
but not to syslog itself:

/etc $ diff syslog.conf.dpkg-dist syslog.conf
11c11,15
< *.*;auth,authpriv.none                -/var/log/syslog
---

> # AF: replaced following line to cut news.info out of syslog
> #*.*;auth,authpriv.none               -/var/log/syslog
> *.*;auth,authpriv.none;news.!=info            -/var/log/syslog

31a36,37
> # AF:
> news.info                       -/var/log/news/news.info
67c73
<       news.err;\
---
>       news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\

When I upgraded, I took the new distribution syslog.conf and then
copied my changes (the same as above) from my old one.

As a hack, I've added a file with the command "/etc/init.d/sysklogd
restart" and the name "zzz-syslog" to /etc/cron.daily --- this has
fixed it for now.