[leafnode-list] Re: Fwd: How can I read Binaries

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:41:00 +0000 "Baz J" <felixander66@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[...]

> What I would like to be able to do is allow a user to select a link from
> a results page and open the message and or picture attached.  No idea
> where to start looking or whether it can be done?  Leafnode / Script on
> unbuntu with users on XP.
>
> Not strictly linked with leafnode but thought I would chance it.
>
> Any advice on the way forward gratefully received.
>
> Regards
>
> Baz

Lynx is easily built into a script and will open a newsgroup article with
a command such as

lynx nntp://localhost/nnq.jtbell-D38492.02221303012008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or

lynx nntp://localhost/news.announce.newusers/8 (where 8 is the local
article number in the spool).

Image Magick includes the command "display" which will display most image
formats.  You'd need to 'decode' any images 'attached' to usenet articles
or emails, of course.  Yencode looks promising, but I've never used it.

--
--  Whiskers