[leafnode-list] Re: Suppressing "no servers found" error message

On 11 Apr,
     Brian D <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11 Apr,
>      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Brian D schrieb:
>
> > > How easy is it to ugrade to leafnode-2?
> >
> > Requires some work, particularly careful matching of the installation
> > paths so that you don't run two versions in parallel, which will stomp
> > over each  other.
> >
> > > Will it be able to use the same spool?
> >
> > No, you need to at least run texpire -r, then fetchnews -f after
> > installing the new tools over the old ones.
> >
> > > Can you use both versions in paralell on the same spool?
> >
> > No. Either leafnode-1 or leafnode-2, and there is no way to downgrade
> > from  leafnode-2 to leafnode-1.
> >
> Thanks. Looks like I'll leave it until I update the hardware. It's been
> running since 2003 so about due.

I decided to have a go at installing an independent copy of leafnode 2 using
different locations for the spool and other files.

This worked well (except for a hiccough caused by the testing client's clock
suddenly losing 4 years!) and I'm now using leafnode2. It seems faster (or
perhaps it's just through having a smaller spool for now).

Thanks for the warning of not trying to mix the installations. I didn't
realise my old install was from 2004, so it's worked well. I'm looking
forward to the later version being as stable.

--
  Brian Duffell  VirtualRiscPCSA  | RISC OS 4.39 Adjust
  Darlington Dolphin Masters ASC  | <www.darlingtonmasters.org.uk>