[leafnode-list] Re: fetchnews continuously grabbing active

Matthias> fetchnews is supposed to log the reason why it needs to
Matthias> refetch the active file; try "fetchnews -evvv" to see if you
Matthias> can get it to print the reason on your console - otherwise
Matthias> check your syslog ...

Hmmm.  I didn't notice this when I did the manual fetchnews -fvvvvv,
but there is this in syslog:

,----
| ERROR: FETCHNEWS MUST REFETCH THE WHOLE ACTIVE FILE NEXT RUN.
| REASON: could not successfully talk to all servers.
`----

just after the main server's logs.  The only thing before that which
might be relevant is: (with the server's name changed...)

,----
| news.example.com: read 108895 newsgroups
| news.example.com: getting newsgroup descriptions
| news.example.com: reading newsgroups descriptions failed: 501 no such list available
`----

so it looks like they dropped support for LIST NEWSGROUP command at some
point.  And indeed a quick test with telnet confirms that.

So I just missed the relevant lines in the log... :-(

Thanks,

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@xxxxxxxxxxx>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6