[leafnode-list] Re: fetchnews continuously grabbing active

Whiskers <catwheezel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:30:26 -0400 "James Cloos"
> <cloos+leafnode@xxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
>

>> I'm running 2.0.0.alpha20070602a.
>>
>> Over the weekend I did a manual run of fetchnews(8) with -f.  Since then
>> I noticed that the run from cron was grabbing the active file every time.
>>
>> Turns out the last: file for my primary server had mtime of several weeks
>> ago.  In particular, my manual run doesn't seem to have updated it.
>>
>> Any thoughts on what would cause it to fail to update?
>>
>> Otherwise, my leafnode experience has been great.
>>
>> -JimC
>
> I had something similar happen once with Leafnode 1 - I decided eventually
> that for some reason the remote server had failed to provide an acceptable
> groups list and so fetchnews was trying to correct that.  I disabled that
> feature for a while and then manually ran fetchnews -f for that server
> only which resolved the problem.  I never did work out exactly what had
> gone wrong.

Well, fetchnews is supposed to log the reasons why something fails,
particularly if refusing the largish active file.

> I'd be tempted to try deleting the last: file concerned and creating a new
> one (using touch) with today's date, just to see what that did ...

Of course you can cheat (touch should suffice, fetchnews only looks at
the mtime of this file, the time when the content was last modified,
which is what touch changes), if you can live with an older active file.