[leafnode-list] Re: automatically x-post to local group?

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:54:16 +0200 "clemens fischer"
<ino-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:41:14 +0100 Whiskers wrote:
>
> > The usual method of archiving 'sent articles' is to append them to an
> > mbox file, which can be accessed using an email client or text tools.
> > Usenet clients such as slrn (and even I think Outlook Express) do that
> > for individual users.
>
> ok, unfortunately, tin[1] doesn't save articles, or, at least, i cannot
> for the life of me find out, how.  the way described in the
> documentation is either formulated wrong or i'm too stupid.
>
> [1] tin.org

I'm not familiar with tin.  Perhaps a post to the newsgroup
news.software.readers would get you some advice; just mention tin in the
Subject: to get the attention of those who do know that program.

A simple bash (or whatever) script to append all the files in Leafnode's
out.going directory to an mbox file (in another directory) before running
fetchnews, would get the job done for all articles posted by all users of
your Leafnode.

> > I have heard of people getting email messages 'ported' into a local
> > newsgroup (something I'd like to do with mailing lists) but I don't
> > know how to do that with Leafnode.
>
> to do this right would mean to do it like gmane.org does.  i read all
> the mailinglists there, including leafnodes.
>
> clemens

The documentation for sn says that it can be used to make a newsgroup out
of a mailing list.  In principle, I think a bash (or whatever) script could
be devised to create a newsgroup spool out of incoming emails, but my
scripting skills aren't up to that (yet) and I don't know if Leafnode
would accept such a directory as an active newsgroup for serving to
clients.  I have toyed with the idea of using sn alongside Leafnode, just
for mailig lists.

--
--  Whiskers