[leafnode-list] Re: User authentication

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 20:07:45 Robert Grimm wrote:
> Timo Neuvonen <timo-news@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As far as I know, the current released version of leafnode does not
> > support user authentication (require uid+password to be used at
> > newsreader client).
> >
> > Is this feature possibly planned or already implemented in the new
> > leafnode-2 version that will be released some day?
>
> ,----[ man leafnode ]

<...>

> from version 2.0.0.alpha20080904a
>
> Never tried this though.

I have, and it worked well for my users. The usual recommendations about good
passwords apply. I generated random passwords and ignored complaints that
they were hard to remember.

Btw, your slrn is using 8-bit content-transfer-encoding, as is appropriate for
Usenet, and a mail server somewhere is converting it to Base64. I had no
problems here with KMail 1.9.9. The same thing often happens when posting to
moderated Usenet groups where the article is emailed to a moderator for
approval.

--
PJR :-)
http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/