> hostname = localhost

This should be a FQDN. You may not be able to post.

Can you try a different server? I read about problems at news.arcor.de
lately.

> Then I subscribed alt.alt.test from Opera client. When running fetchnews
> it simply doesn't fetch anything.

None of the upstream servers I use have alt.alt.test.
groups.google says:
Description alt.alt.test: Use alt.test instead.

Please also try a different group.

> # fetchnews -vv

Please try
# fetchnews -vvvv

> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Except for the hostname, I can't see anything wrong at your side.

Rob
--
"Violence is the resort of the violent" Lu Tze
	               "Thief of Time", Terry Pratchett