[leafnode-list] Re: Base64 coding in list messages

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:32:53 +0100 Whiskers <catwheezel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:57:08 +0200 Matthias Andree
> <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Whiskers schrieb:
>
> [...]
>
> > Peter J. Ross's and your second message already arrived in
> > quoted-printable CTE with UTF-8 charset.
> >
> > The paths from the list to my account as well as to @operamail.com are
> > 8-bit-clean, all advertise 8BITMIME, so no reencoding takes place.
> > AFAIK, Postfix never reencodes to base64, only to quoted-printable, if
> > at all.
> >
> > I don't know who re-encoded them; I presume it was Mailman or Python's
> > SMTP library. Base64 encoding might then happen behind the scenes at
> > outblaze.com/operamail.com.
>
> I've never observed Operamail do that to any messages received in UTF-8;
> I just tested again, and the coding was not changed from the

> which Claws-Mail gave the text - which was:-
>
> Schrödinger's cat is worth çirca €1 and drives a Citroën DS paþetically.
>
> I've unsubbed from this list via my Operamail address, so I won't see
> what happens to this message when received there, but it will be
> interesting to see if it gets re-coded anyway.

[...]

... and it has; now I'm seeing

and no involvement of the Operamail website or system.  (Claws-Mail is of
course quite capable of de-coding the Base64.  Something is re-coding
UTF-8 emails from 'quoted-printable' to 'base64' - and re-writing the
headers.

Could it be something to do with a moderation 'bot'?

--
--  Whiskers