[leafnode-list] Re: Base64 coding in list messages

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 11:26:15 Whiskers wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:45:29 +0200 Matthias Andree
>
> <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Whiskers <catwheezel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > > When it left me, the message had these headers:

> > > but on arrival from the mailing-list, these had changed to:

> [...]
>
> > Generally speaking, quoted-printable or base64 will usually happen
> > whenever umlauts are involved - or other characters that don't fit into
> > 7bit (I'm avoiding them in this message). In the message you sent it was
> > the German oe umlaut in the greeting that you had quoted from Torsten's
> > message.
>
> But it only happens occasionally even in that case; Torsten's messages
> don't get converted to Base64 - but in that thread, both Peter J Ross's
> reply and mine, did.

Mine was quoted-printable when it left me.

From: Peter J Ross <peadar.ruadh@xxxxxxxxx>
To: leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [leafnode-list]  Fetchnews process takes very long
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 04:54:23 +0100

If you're not the only one receiving that as Base64, the problem arises
somewhere earlier in the chain.

> Torsten's messages get to me with

> so perhaps it isn't the actual characters, so much as the sender's
> character set - I used UTF-8 (automatic setting by my software when I use
> non-US-ASCII characters); perhaps Peter did too?  If the messages go
> through a system that can't handle UTF-8 I can see that causing a problem.

I use UTF-8 whenever non-ASCII characters are required (because I'm living in
the 21st Century), but I'm not sending raw 8bit data. I don't understand why
messages sent as quoted-printable should be re-encoded as Base64.

--
PJR :-)