[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews process takes very long

Hallöchen!

Reiner Steib writes:

> On Sun, Oct 19 2008, Torsten Bronger wrote:
>
>> In "top", the expensive process calls itself "fetchnews".  I
>> think texpire is called only once per day or so.
>
> Add some -v's to the fetchnews call to generate more verbose
> output.  This might give some hints where the time is spent.

The log file with -vvvv is:

leafnode 1.11.6: verbosity level is 4, debugmode is 0
try_lock(timeout=5), fqdn="wilson.homeunix.com"
news.cis.dfn.de: connecting to port nntp...
news.cis.dfn.de: connected.
news.cis.dfn.de: using STAT <message-ID> command.
news.cis.dfn.de: authenticated as bronger
news.cis.dfn.de: 0 articles posted.
news.cis.dfn.de: getting new newsgroups
news.cis.dfn.de: reading server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.cis.dfn.de
oecher.kultur: no new articles
news.gmane.org: conversation completed, disconnected.
wrote active file with 36093 lines
Started process to update overview data in the background.
Network activity has finished.

When I hear the heavy I/O on the hard disk, those last lines are
already written.  So this "update overview data" seems to be the
cause.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bronger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx