[leafnode-list] Re: trying to decide which is better

clemens fischer wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:42:35 -0500 Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>> Matthias Andree wrote:
>>
>>> If IMAP (rather than NNTPd) is an option, have a look at Dovecot and
>>> if it meets your requirements.
>> we're already using dovecot but, I don't think it serves the need for
>> a internal conference server, at lease, as far as I know.
>
> It's not quite the same, but have you considered a wiki or a tracker or
> "Faq-O-Matic"[1] ?
>
> [1] <url:http://faqomatic.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html>

they are to have a wiki and it is used but it really doesn't capture the
corporate knowledge found in conversation.

>> well I am going to use leaf node for my first tests of the injection
>> code.  I will let you know where things break (unfortunately, I'm
>> really good at breaking things)
>
> ... which is not a bad quality in the first place.  It makes finding
> real errors easy  8-)

well, here's the first breakage coming up.  I asked the person responsible for
the data set how many messages were going to be put online.  The answer I got was:

"""
There are 117616 messages that were archived in the old system, 70341
that were live. We probably have about 11000 in the new system that
aren't dupes (not too sure how accurate that is though.)
"""

gack!  JFS for sure.

> I think there's nothing wrong with the format, but there seems to be
> a check if your host name matches "public.gmane.org".  It is certainly
> no leafnode error message, as egrep(1) tells me.  You should have your
> own host in your own message-id.

turns out there was a problem.  It needed angle brackets as Matthias suggested.
 all happy happy now.  afaict.