[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode on macosx

Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Martin Smith on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 19:47:03 +0000
>> I have installed leafnode via macports and I am looking for some
>> guidance as to how to get it running as a service via launchd, which I
>> think is the correct way to do it these days.
>> I am fairly new to osx, but have run it for many years on FreeBSD.
>> Any help greatly appreciated, thanks
>
> Some extra distributions like fink still make leafnode a
> StartupItem, eg. because it's easier to turn off. However, that
> being said, the following setup works fine for me:
>
> $ cat /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.leafnode.plist
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
> 	"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
> <plist version="1.0">
>
> <!--$Id: org.leafnode.plist,v 9581788c5b00 2007-08-22 14:20 +0200 blacktrash $-->
>
> <dict>
>         <key>Label</key>
>         <string>org.leafnode</string>
>         <key>Program</key>
>         <string>/usr/local/sbin/leafnode</string>
>         <key>ProgramArguments</key>
>         <array>
>                 <string>leafnode</string>
>         </array>
>         <key>Sockets</key>
>         <dict>
>                 <key>Listeners</key>
>                 <dict>
>                         <key>Bonjour</key>
>                         <true/>
>                         <key>SockServiceName</key>
>                         <string>nntp</string>
>                 </dict>
>         </dict>
>         <key>UserName</key>
>         <string>news</string>
>         <key>inetdCompatibility</key>
>         <dict>
>                 <key>Wait</key>
>                 <false/>
>         </dict>
> </dict>
> </plist>
>
> Then:
>
> $ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.leafnode.plist
> $ sudo launchctl start org.leafnode
>
> To stop:
>
> $ sudo launchctl stop org.leafnode
> $ sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.leafnode.plist

Tried it as above, when I try to subscibe in t'bird I get
A News (NNTP) error occurred: launchproxy [395]: execv(): no such file
or directory
well, that is true as far as the program string line goes,
/usr/local/sbin does not exist, leafnode is in /opt/local/sbin, but if I
alter the plist to that value I get error connecting to localhost
and attempting to start the service I get bind: operation not permitted
any further thoughts?

--
Martin