[leafnode-list] Re: News article posted over and over...

Am 20.03.2009, 17:03 Uhr, schrieb Chris Davies <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a very nicely working leafnode 2 installation. Multiple servers,
> some of which are readonly and some are postable. All fine apart from
> the news.easysw.com news server, which I use for groups relating to the
> CUPS printing system.
>
> Normally, when I post a "ordinary" article it's sent off happily, and
> disappears from /var/spool/news/out.going just as I'd expect.
>
> However, when I post to news.easysw.com, the article is accepted from my
> server, but it remains in /var/spool/news/out.going. An hour or so later
> it's picked up again and reposted. And again. And again. Until I remove
> it from the spool directory.

easysw.com is using newsd, which is broken by design, in that it replaces
the Message-ID. Leafnode thus cannot detect it has succeeded in posting
the article (it doesn't trust the 240 message from the server), and
retries.

Replacing the Message-ID is a mind-boggingly stupid practice that has
caused several dupe (duplicate message) floods already, and the only thing
I can and will do is prevent posting to newsd servers.

Please complain to easysw for not fixing this bug in several years (it's
easily identified in their bug tracker for newsd, but I'm not going to
register an account there).