[leafnode-list] Re: news.mozilla.org: reading new newsgroups failed, reason "501 no such list available"

On 3/27/2009 8:00 AM, Jeff Grossman wrote:

>>> Then how come leafnode-2 doesn't exhibit this problem?  I read a few
>>> newsgroups at news.mozilla.org, which indeed is provided by GigaNews,
>>> but cannot find this 501 error message.
>>>
>>> Or does this happen only on "(re)scans", but not in daily business?
>>>
>> I started getting a "reading new newsgroups failed" error in almost all of
>> my cron jobs for fetchnews for about the past week.  I hadn't had a chance
>> to look at it.  But, once I saw this thread, I figured I would take a
>> look.  I went to my logs today and noticed that the error was coming from
>> my local ISP news server (which is actually just outsourced to Giganews),
>> but was not getting it on my news.mozilla.org connection.  I noticed that
>> on my news.mozilla.org setting I have "nodesc = 1".  But, I did not have
>> that on my local ISP config line.  Once I added it to that line, the error
>> message went away.  But, like I said, this only started about a week ago.
>> Very strange.
>>
> Sorry, forgot to mention I am running version 2.

Okay, so that did not work.  I just received another "reading new
newsgroups failed" on my ISP's connection.  I have the "nodesc = 1" line
on both the ISP one and on the mozilla one, but I only get the error on
my ISP one.  They both connect to Giganews for the news connection.
Very weird.

Jeff